Union Public Schools Job Description
Position Title: Custodian
Reports To: Lead Custodian / District Coordinator of Custodial Services
FLSA Designation: Non-exempt
SUMMARY: To keep the District’s buildings in such a state of operating excellence that they
present no problems or interruptions to the education program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
• Aids in maintaining buildings and other structures (inside and outside).
• Assists in maintaining seasonal grounds work (snow, lawn).
• Cleans and preserves designated spaces, equipment, etc. in the building.
• Restocks disposable items and provides head custodian with inventory usage and data.
• Assists visitors utilizing the facilities with directions within building and in obtaining
and setting up needed equipment.
• Maintains building and grounds security in the building each school day.
• Performs task that require to push/ pull items such as, but not limited to, tables,
bleachers, scrubbing and buffing machines up to 90 pounds.
• Performs daily cleaning duties such as vacuuming (Vacuum weighs 20 pounds) and
mopping floors daily (mop bucket weighs 8.34 pounds) up to 50 pounds.
• Lifts heavy furniture when necessary (desk, chairs, cafeteria tables) up to 90 pounds.
• Works well with supervisors and other members of the team.
• Maintains consistent and punctual attendance.
• Performs other duties assigned by supervisor or administrator.
• Uses computer for required duties such as checking and responding to emails, Kronos
timekeeping system and Safe Schools Safety Training.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must
be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents including safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports