Police Communications Coordinator
Job Title: Communications Coordinator FLSA: Salary/Exempt
Department: Police Reports to: Chief/Deputy Chief
Salary Range: $41,666 – 45,570
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It is the policy of the City of Claremore to afford equal opportunity for employment to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, marital status, or qualified disability.
Under the general supervision of the Police Chief and Deputy Chief will perform a variety of administrative and staff support duties. Requires a wide range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies, procedures. Assists in the developing and nurturing relationships between the organization, media, and the public. Assists and directs visitors, resolves administrative problems and inquiries; composes, edits, and proofreads correspondence and reports, and prepares a range of administrative documents.
- Coordinates and performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities for the chiefs; serves as a liaison with, citizens, other departments, and operating units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems;
- Provides administrative support for the chiefs such as answering telephones, assisting visitors, and resolving and/or referring a range of administrative problems and inquiries;
- Operates personal computer to compose and edit correspondence and/or memoranda from dictation, verbal direction, or from knowledge of established department/division policies; may prepare, transcribe, compose, type, edit, and distribute agendas and/or minutes of meetings;
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, events, interviews, appointments, and/or other similar activities for Chiefs, which may include coordinating travel and lodging arrangements;
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports; performs basic information gathering and analysis and/or forecasting, as specifically directed;
- Assists chiefs in problem solving, project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives;
- Establishes, maintains, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports. Assist current records personnel with day to day operational workload;
- Sorts, screens, reviews, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; composes, prepares, or ensures timely responses to a variety of routine written inquiries for the chiefs
- Leads and trains lower graded staff and/or student employees, as required;
- Helps conduct research and policy recommendations;
- Act as a liaison for the chiefs with citizens and staff;
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Database management skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to lead and train staff and/or students.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Word processing and/or data entry skills.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Ability to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Customer service skills.
- Responsible for coordinating the communications output within the department: Creates and delivers emails, direct mail, brochures, newsletters, and other publications.
- Create department literature and other forms of communication.
- Create marketing and promotional materials, both print and electronic.
- Collaborate with chiefs and PIO for all social media application content and delivery.
- Utilization of word-processing, spreadsheets and database applications to manipulate and format correspondence/data.
- Facilitating communication between external parties and the chiefs.
- Communicating regularly with other internal administrative staff and the chiefs.
- Maintain chief’s community outreach programs and public relations initiatives, and staff recognition (significant personnel events, media recognition of citizens and staff).
- Responsible for developing board or committee meeting agendas.
- Develop marketing communications campaigns.
- Create and deliver press releases, media relations content, case studies, white papers, executive bios, Department newsletter content, social media content, and speaking proposals.
- Identify, develop and execute communications strategy for key media contacts and citizen references.
- Research media coverage and industry trends.
- Develop fresh story ideas.
- Conduct extensive media outreach under the direction of the chiefs.
- Prepare briefing materials.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor Degree in Communications preferred or a related discipline with experience in communications or a closely related field.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, controls, or tools; reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet.