Payroll Analyst for the City of Claremore
Job Title: Payroll Analyst FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Department: Finance Reports to: Finance Director
Salary Range: $41,666.64 – 45,570.19
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Under the general supervision of the Finance Director. Performs a variety of accounting and clerical functions with primary duties in payroll and vendor statement reconciliations as well as other internal control activities.
- Process bi-weekly payrolls for union and non-union employee
- Process employee pay and/or pay changes for items including retro payments, wage garnishments, etc. in accordance with federal and state laws
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions will be processed accurately and timely
- Review and balance payrolls before and after they have been processed
- Execute time and attendance processing and interfacing with payroll
- Research, analyze and resolve payroll related issues or questions by collecting and analyzing information
- Communicate with employees and other departments to answer questions or resolve issues
- Maintain employees’ confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Assist with timecard/time clock questions or issues
- Keep informed of regulations, interpretations and practices pertaining to the payroll accounting function
- Develop and/or recommend new or revised procedures for improving the overall payroll process
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of periodic/special reports for government agencies, tax authorities, and other components as required
- Respond to various audit and tax agency requests
- Complete payroll filing
- Communicate and coordinate with the Human Resources department to facilitate the payroll process
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Experience with InCode 10 software preferred
- Experience with Executime preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in a business environment
- Proficiency in Excel
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and technical skills
- Ability to learn and utilize necessary software programs
- Ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines with flexibility
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Attention to detail, well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take initiative as well as execute management and prioritization
Associate’s degree in Accounting or related field or the equivalent of 5 or more years in an accounting related or payroll related job. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Tools and Equipment:
Phone system, personal computer, copy machine, postage machine, 10-key calculator
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hand to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate with frequent interruptions.