Job Title: Electric Boring Technician FLSA: Hourly/Non-Exempt
Department: Electric Reports to: Electric Administrator
Salary Range: $15.00
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Under the general supervision of the Public Works Director and provides directional boring for the City of Claremore Electric department. This position performs a variety of routine and complex administrative, skilled, and technical work in operating, maintaining and repairing electrical distribution systems.
- Providing Directional Boring for City of Claremore Electric Department
- Work as a general Laborer
- Help maintain equipment with maintenance and repair
- Operate a locator to assist in the path of the boring head.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Knowledge: Some knowledge of methods, materials and tools used in electrical distribution system maintenance work; Some knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade; Some knowledge of the principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems and ability to apply this knowledge to work situations.
- Abilities: Come to work on time, follow directions, be honest and dependable, maintain safe work environment, be cooperative, have a positive attitude, be courteous and considerate team member, manage time effectively, concentrate on work, recognize problems and find solutions; ability to learn proper methods, procedures and safety precautions of line work; ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions; Ability to work under varying weather conditions; ability to learn to climb poles with a climber’s belt and hooks and perform strenuous duties in all kinds of conditions and weather; ability to understand and provide oral and written instructions quickly and accurately, and under adverse conditions; must be able to learn to make some mathematical computations accurately.
- Skills: Skill when dealing with people in a positive, customer service oriented manner; some skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment; Ability to learn the application of first aid methods including artificial respiration.
- Ability to learn to all equipment within the department.
- Ability to work around and near power lines.
- Must have a Commercial Driver’s License Class “A” with air brakes (CDL) or able to obtain within 90 days.
- Must be willing to attend safety classes and training session in regards to the job.
- Be willing and able to work extra and irregular hours as the utility needs may require, and be willing to work under unusual or special working conditions; storms, extreme temperatures and winds, darkness, etc.
- Must be willing to operate all power equipment.
- Must possess a Valid Oklahoma State Driver's License, and must have a valid State Class “a” CDL with air brake and standard transmission endorsement or the ability to obtain within 90 days from the date of hire; must be insurable with City’s insurance carrier; CPR, First Aid, and AED certification or the ability to obtain one within 30 days from the date of hire. This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug testing. Safety sensitive positions must comply to federal regulations where marijuana still remains illegal. Possession of a medical marijuana license does not exempt safety sensitive positions from federal regulations. Should one of these safety sensitive positions test positive on a drug test and lose the ability to perform within the job description outline, the City of Claremore will implement the zero tolerance policy resulting in immediate termination.
Tools and Equipment:
Pickup, Dump Truck, Man Lift (bucket truck), Digger Derrick, Backhoe, Chipper, Pole Climbing Equipment, Wire Cutters, Heat Sensors, Power Tools, Electrical Testing Equipment, Hotline Tools, Clamp Sticks, Portable Generator, Chainsaw, Line Tracer, Cable Tensioner, Hydraulic Pole Jack, Hydraulic Compression Tools, Phase Rotation Meters, Fault Locators, Cable Pullers, or any equipment designated as necessary to complete the tasks assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Employee must be able to manage a fear of heights; must be mentally and physically prepared for unforeseen emergencies at all times. Good physical condition and sufficient strength and agility to climb poles and trees; must pass a physical examination at a facility designated by the City of Claremore; must be able to wear the appropriate protective clothing/gear to complete assigned tasks in accordance with the APPA safety manual that will be given to the employee at the time of employment; must be willing to remove all jewelry, including wedding ring, while in the performance of job duties, as required by department safety guidelines.
Must be able to communicate and receive verbal instructions at distances of up to 300 feet due to power signals and communications from those on the pole or at the source of work and those on the ground near shut off.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, machinery, or in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to offensive smells, dust, dirt and water, wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, traffic, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration; works around hazardous equipment and electricity. Must observe safety concerns and assist other repairers to be working in safe environments. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate with the potential to be excessive.